Ontelaunee has several rifle and pistol ranges for member use. (see photo below) The club currently has additional training and competition ranges for running matches. The training and competition ranges are for training and competition only, they are not open for general member use. There is a 25 yard pistol range where you can shoot pistols and rimfire rifles. (no centerfire rifles on the 25 yard range). The 50 yard, 100 yard, 200 yard and 300 yard range is for rifle or pistol. Please read the range rules below before coming to the club.
*Ranges can be closed by a club officer or board member for safety reason or maintenance.
**We need a new** Range Maintenance Chairman for membership rifle and pistol ranges
We are an all-volunteer club and need volunteers
Please read the range rules below and the pistol range rules before coming to the club.
When it is not in use for a match, other event (such as Women’s shooting team) the north facing training and competition pit (to the left of the 25 yard range) is able to be used by members.
**Members must supply their own targets and target stands when using the pit next to the 25 yard range**
Ontelaunee Rod Gun Club Range Rules and Information
1. Always keep all firearms pointed down range. – (NRA Gun Safety Rule #1 ALWAYS Keep a Gun pointed in a safe direction.) All shots must go into the berm/backstop. Rounds that go over the berm/backstop may result in club expulsion.
2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. (NRA Gun Safety Rule #2) 3. When not in use all firearm magazines must be removed, actions or breech open and firearm unloaded. (NRA Gun Safety Rule #3 ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.) 4. Never handle a firearm when someone is down range.
5. Never use alcohol before or while shooting. Never use over-the-counter, prescription, or other drugs which may impair your abilities before or while shooting.
6. Intentional damage of club property will result in automatic expulsion from the club.
7. Walking on ranges or parking area with slung rifles is prohibited.
8. Targets, shells, empty cases and all trash must be picked up after shooting on the ranges.
9. Members are required to display their current membership cards when at the club.
10. Membership is required to use the ranges and guests are permitted with a paid guest pass. An adult member may bring a maximum of two guests and must pay the daily guest fees ($10 for adults and $5 for juniors). Any club member that brings a guest is responsible for their safety and adherence to club rules while they are on club property.
11. Junior members (17yrs and younger) must be accompanied by an adult club member (18 years or older).
12. All people on the firing line are required to wear ear and eye protection when at the ranges.
13. Shooting hours are 8:30 A.M. until sunset, unless an event is scheduled on the ranges.
14. Motorized vehicles are not permitted on the ranges.
15. Spectators are never allowed on the firing line. They must stay behind the firing line or in their vehicles or in the picnic area near the sheds.
16. Fully-Automatic firearms are not allowed to be used on the ranges.
17. Only paper targets, New Bold Targets and legitimate steel targets allowed on ranges. No steel targets on the 50 yard range. No exploding targets on any range.
Shotgun info: Birdshot is allowed on the trap ranges, shotgun patterning range and pit next to the 25 yard range. Buckshot is only allowed on the 50 yard range and pit next to the pistol range. Slugs are only allowed on the rifle ranges. Ranges may be closed on some dates so refer to the web site, club schedule or bulletin board at the club house.
Safety violations may result in expulsion from the club
Club meetings are held the second Wednesday of each month at 7:30 P.M.