Ontelaunee has several rifle and pistol ranges for member use. (see photo below) The club currently has additional training and competition ranges for running matches. The training and competition ranges are for training and competition only, they are not open for general member use. There is a 25 yard pistol range where you can shoot pistols and rimfire rifles. (no centerfire rifles on the 25 yard range). The 50 yard, 100 yard, 200 yard and 300 yard range is for rifle or pistol. Please read the range rules below before coming to the club.
Firearm Safety: First, Last and Always from NSSF on Vimeo.
*Ranges can be closed by a club officer or board member for safety reason or maintenance.
Please read the range rules below and the pistol range rules before coming to the club.
When it is not in use for a match, other event (such as Women’s shooting team) the north facing training and competition pit (to the left of the 25 yard range) is able to be used by members.
**Members must supply their own targets and target stands when using the pit next to the 25 yard range**
Target stands may also be used on the 25 yard range but you must be sure that your rounds are going into the berm. If you hang your target too high on a portable stand and place it mid-range then shoot from the bench there is a danger that the rounds will go over the berm. This is a safety violation and you will be expelled from the club. No center fire rifle on this range!
The 25 yard pistol range has movable targets. All shooting is done from the benches under the overhang. The pistol range rules are listed below.
Pistol Range Rules
1. The firing line on this range is under the overhang. All shooting must be done from the firing line under the overhang.
2. Please move the target stands to the distance you want to shoot from the firing line.
3. When shooting targets on the target stands make sure your bullets go into the berm downrange and do not hit another target stand.
4. Any damage done to the target stand supports, bases or bullets that go over the berm will result in your expulsion from the club.
5. No centerfire rifle cartridges are allowed on this range.
6. Do not hang targets over the wood supports and do not shoot the bases of the targets. If you are hitting the wood supports you are either shooting too fast or you do not have the skills required to shoot at this distance. Shooting the supports and target bases will result in permanent expulsion from the club.
The north facing training and competition pit (to the left of the 25 yard range) is able to be used by members if you have a portable target stand or legitimate steel targets. Target stands may also be used on the 25 yard range but you must be sure that your rounds are going into the berm. If you hang your target too high on a portable stand and place it mid-range then shoot from the bench there is a danger that the rounds will go over the berm. This is a safety violation and you will be expelled from the club. No center fire rifle cartridges.
You can bring your own steel targets on this range as long as there is room for other members to shoot also.
New pistol range target backers are located to the right of the large shed directly behind the pistol range. We keep them under the tarp to protect the wood frames. They already have rubber backers on them. You can unscrew the 6 screws from the base then put a new one on the base.
If you have interest in buying your own portable target stands (light weight metal) please email Tim at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ontelaunee Rod Gun Club Range Rules and Information
1. Always keep all firearms pointed down range. – (NRA Gun Safety Rule #1 ALWAYS Keep a Gun pointed in a safe direction.) All shots must go into the berm/backstop. Rounds that go over the berm/backstop may result in club expulsion.
2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. (NRA Gun Safety Rule #2) 3. When not in use all firearm magazines must be removed, actions or breech open and firearm unloaded. (NRA Gun Safety Rule #3 ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.) 4. Never handle a firearm when someone is down range.
5. Never use alcohol before or while shooting. Never use over-the-counter, prescription, or other drugs which may impair your abilities before or while shooting.
6. Intentional damage of club property will result in automatic expulsion from the club.
7. Walking on ranges or parking area with slung rifles is prohibited.
8. Targets, shells, empty cases and all trash must be picked up after shooting on the ranges.
9. Members are required to display their current membership cards when at the club.
10. Membership is required to use the ranges and guests are permitted with a paid guest pass. An adult member may bring a maximum of two guests and must pay the daily guest fees ($10 for adults and $5 for juniors). Any club member that brings a guest is responsible for their safety and adherence to club rules while they are on club property.
11. Junior members (17yrs and younger) must be accompanied by an adult club member (18 years or older).
12. All people on the firing line are required to wear ear and eye protection when at the ranges.
13. Shooting hours are 8:30 A.M. until sunset, unless an event is scheduled on the ranges.
14. Motorized vehicles are not permitted on the ranges.
15. Spectators are never allowed on the firing line. They must stay behind the firing line or in their vehicles or in the picnic area near the sheds.
16. Fully-Automatic firearms are not allowed to be used on the ranges.
17. Only paper targets, New Bold Targets and legitimate steel targets allowed on ranges. No steel targets on the 50 yard range. No exploding targets on any range.
18. No open toe shoes, no low-cut tops or cut off shirts.
Shotgun info: Birdshot is allowed on the trap ranges, shotgun patterning range and pit next to the 25 yard range. Buckshot is only allowed on the 50 yard range and pit next to the pistol range. Slugs are only allowed on the rifle ranges. Ranges may be closed on some dates so refer to the web site, club schedule or bulletin board at the club house.
Safety violations may result in expulsion from the club
Club meetings are held the second Wednesday of each month at 7:30 P.M.
WE NEED HELP FROM OUR MEMBERS
Over the past few months the target stands on the 25 yard pistol range are being intentionally destroyed. This hurts all of the members who want to shoot pistol and the volunteers who help make these stands.
We need all members to be alert and help find these people who think it is fun to destroy club property. Ontelaunee is a member’s only club that runs on volunteers. We have lost several volunteers because of the amount of damage and out of frustration they gave up helping. This also costs the club money that would be better spent on other projects.
We need to police our fellow members. If you see someone destroying club property you need to report it by responding to this email or let a club Board Member, Club Officer or Range Officer know. If the people destroying the club property are members we need to get rid of them and ban them from the club. If people who are not members are coming onto the property and doing this damage we need to catch them so we can have them charged with trespassing and vandalism. Any information is helpful. Member name, car, license plate, or any other info you can give us. The photos below show the damage done to target stands that were build 2 months ago. This will not be tolerated.
We want to thank the volunteers who came out to help to build new target stands on March 6th 2016 for the 25 yard pistol range.
Thanks to these volunteers we now have new target stands for the 25 yard range! Please keep a watchful eye on people when they are on the ranges and watch for any abuse of club property.